Friday, June 08, 2007

Fiber Friday - A Rockin' Blanket

This is Socks That Rock heavyweight in the Knitty Rocks color. It is 100% super wash merino and the skein weighs in at 7 ounces and is about 350 yards. This is in reserve for a small lap sized blanket.

I've wanted to make a small blanket with sock yarn for a long time and watching Carrie finish hers was the last straw. I have to have my own Rockin' Blanket. I'm going to knit a log cabin style blanket with three different colors of STR heavyweight.

The blanket colors will be Knitty Rocks, the other two colors will lemon grass and thistle. The lemon grass color is a variegated yellow and green; it is similar in color to the yellowish green in the Knitty Rocks. Thistle also has the same yellowish green color and a blue/purple color.

The colors will probably make the thing look like an electric kool-aid acid explosion. But I'm drawn to the colors, so we'll see how it turns out. At worst, it is only a blanket and can always keep a kitty or puppy comfy around here.

I have two skeins of each color and I'll just keep knitting until I run out of yarn. I'm hoping to start this soon, probably after I finish Wicked. I have been working on Wicked. I have to finish a bit more on the body and then knit the sleeves.

18 comments:

Zonda said...

Nice to see the Knitty Rocks in other's environments! Looks great! Can't wait to see that blanket!! Hehe..Carrie, she's an enabler huh? ;)

Stacey said...

that will be one rockin' blanket!! love the bright colors!

Trillian42 said...

I know what you mean about seeing Carrie's blanket - it is beautiful. I look forward to seeing yours!

And isn't the Knitty Rocks great? I just got some in the lightweight for socks.

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

the colors are gorgeous! I'm impressed with any type of blanket knitting.

A techical question - what are you using to get that super white background in your pictures

Anonymous said...

Oooh, that is going to be purrrrrdy.

Sue J. said...

Can't wait to see that blanket. What a good idea!! Fiber fabulous Friday! I may have to order from BMF soon, soon. I hate yarn diets.

Deb said...

I love that yarn (and the photo (again)). Have you done log cabin before? It's just so much fun to do. Can't wait to watch its progress.

Shannon said...

I am not a big fan of brights, but that yarn is so awesome!

Anonymous said...

ooohhh it's gonna be an awesome blanket! Can't wait to see it all knit up. :)

Batty said...

That yarn is droolworthy.

Unknown said...

It's going to be beautiful! Can't wait to see it.

Bezzie said...

I know I've said it before, but the way you photograph yarn, you could take a skein of $1 Red Heart Acrylic Nightmare Clearance yarn and make it droolworthy!

cpurl17 said...

Sigh, another beautiful skein of yarn!

Monika said...

Oh wow, I'm so jelouse! This will be an absolutly wonderful blanket. You know how I love blankets! Knitting it with those colors and yarn, oh my! ;o)

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Beautiful!! A variegated log cabin is going to be sooooooo pretty!! And I'm a bit jealous that you are making a real size blanket (2 skeins each)...well definately bigger than my "lap blanket".

Can't wait to see those three colors together...gorgeous!

xoxo Carrie aka STR enabler (that's right...I heard you Zonda...hehehe)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Love. These. Colors!

gilraen said...

Beautiful! As always photographed so stylishly! :)

I'm now waiting to see what the blanket will look like :)

eusebius said...

TAG! you're it again :) see my blog for details ...