Monday, December 10, 2007

Spinning, I've Been Spinning

This is my first hand spun yarn and I did it on the spindle I purchased at SAFF. It is a 2-ply yarn spun from a ball of pink fiber that I bought when I got my spindle. I actually have no idea what type of wool it is. I do know that I plied the two singles together with too much twist which is partly why the yarn looks so wavy. I did enjoy spinning doing it though and based on that I signed up for a four week class at a local yarn shop.

I have already been to two of the classes and the third session is scheduled for this Wednesday. The first two classes focused on spinning on a spindle. This yarn is a 2-ply Blue faced Leicester in it's natural sheepy color. By this time, I think that the spinning and drafting has gotten a little bit easier, but I don't think there is much improvement in the finished yarn. This time I ended up with under spun singles and in a lot of places the yarn is wrapped instead of plied. I think part of this is do to the under spinning and uneven thickness of the singles. I 'm still hoping the more I do it, the better it will get.

Our second week was spent trying out a new fiber, Corriedale. Part of the idea of the class is to try out new fibers and figure out the difference in spinning. I really liked working with the Corriedale. So far it is has been the easiest to spin in my opinion. Overall this yarn seems a little more even, but not a whole lot better. I still don't have any of the fancy little tools and gadgets for spinning so I can't tell you how many wraps per inch or estimate the yardage. Maybe Santa will drop some off under the tree this year. This week we get to sit at a wheel for the first time.

When I started knitting, I told myself that I'd never knit socks. Who would want to mess around with something that looks so complicated on such small needles. There is plenty to knit besides socks. I now love knitting socks. I told myself I'd never want to spin yarn - there are so many types of beautiful yarn to buy. Hand spun yarn can even be had for a price. At the moment, I'm learning to spin. Now I'm telling myself I do not want to prepare and dye my own fleece. I guess the next step is to go ahead and start building a barn in the back to hold the flock.

12 comments:

Lazuli said...

Your spinning looks really great! Your first skeins are so very even compared to my first wobbly bits, wonderful job!

I have had exactly the same progression as you about socks, spinning, etc! And I do love socks and spinning, which makes me feel awful about my former nay-saying. As for the barn, well, my DH likes sheep and goats and making cheese, so sometimes I wonder if we're on a very long term slippery slope to building that barn!

Monika said...

That's too funny! I don't have the urge to mess around with fleece yet. Don't need an actual sheep either. I just want lots and lots of different kinds of prepared fiber, dyed and undyed.
You sure are getting there! It's all practice. :o)

turtlegirl76 said...

Hee! "Fancy gadgets." You do know you can use a ruler, right? (This coming from the woman who never remembers to do the WPI bit.)

Bezzie said...

Good spin job!! I love that jewel tone colored yarn!

michelle said...

i am jealous of your handspun. i think we're from the same area...i am curious about where you are learning to spin, if you don't mind sharing.

Zonda said...

Nice spinning there! So glad you could find a class to go to!! Hehe..on the barn building!!

gilraen said...

Clever clever you!!! Way to go on your first atttempt! :D

elizabeth said...

That is really funny! If you figure out a way to get your husband to agree to keeping sheep, let me know!

mel said...

Yep - better get started now :) Hurray for sheepies!

It'll absolutely get easier - the most amazing thing to me was that even though my early stuff looked pretty twisty, it was still YARN! I'm so excited for you!! And that you may be coming to the guild!!

Angela said...

Your spun yarn looks great! You are braver than me...I didn't have the courage to try to ply it. Nice.

Ang

Anonymous said...

Your spinning looks great!

Unknown said...

I usually lurk and refrain from commenting, but I have to tell you I love your color sense and your spinning efforts. I just started wheel spinning a month ago and am loving it, but don't have any fiber that's as fun as yours! Hope to correct that at Madrona Fiber Arts fest next month...