Wednesday, March 26, 2008

How to Knit a Sock Yarn Square

As most of you probably know, I've been using my leftover sock yarn to knit squares for a blanket/afghan . I've been asked several time about a pattern for the squares so I decided to post here in case anyone else is interested. The squares pictured above were just knit up using the leftovers I had from my Chevron scarf. Both squares are knit from Socks That Rock in the medium weight variety. The square on the left is in the Farmhouse color and the square on the right is Watermelon Tourmaline.

I knit these squares in the round using two circular needles. I've only used double pointed needles to knit in the round one time and I didn't like it. Now I only use them to knit i-cord. Everything else is on circular needles. I'm sure that if you prefer double pointed needles that this can be adapted very easily.

Sock Yarn Square

Needles: two addi Turbo US#1 needles (24 inch)
Yarn: Leftover sock yarn. The amount needed will vary depending on the weight of the yarn. I've knit a square that weighed as little as 10 grams and as much as 26 grams. For example squares knit out of Opal sock yarn typically weigh about 12 grams, squares knit with Koigu KPPPM weigh about 16 grams and STR medium weight squares will weigh about 26 grams.

Cast on 12 stitches and divide them evenly between two needles. (6 stitches per needle)

Round 1 - Knit around
Round 2 - K1, YO, K1, YO, K1 (repeat 3 more times)
Round 3 - (and all odd #'ed rounds) - Knit around; knitting all YO's through the back loop
Round 4 - K2, YO, K1, YO, K2 (repeat 3 more times)
Round 6 - K3, YO, K1, YO, K3 (repeat 3 more times)
Round 8 - K4, YO, K1, YO, K4 (repeat 3 more times)
Round 10 - K5, YO, K1, YO, K5 (repeat 3 more times)
Round 12 - K6, YO, K1, YO, K6 (repeat 3 more times)
Round 14 - K7, YO, K1, YO, K7 (repeat 3 more times)
Round 16 - K8, YO, K1, YO, K8 (repeat 3 more times)
Round 18 - K9, YO, K1, YO, K9 (repeat 3 more times)

Follow this pattern of increases until the square is as large as you'd like. End with a odd numbered row. Block all the squares to the same size and seam together. I haven't decided how I'm going to connect them yet and probably won't cross that bridge until I have to start seaming. I've also thought about adding a border once the squares are together too.

If you have questions you can e-mail me and I'll do my best to answer. If you find any typos let me know and I'll correct this post.

24 comments:

cpurl17 said...

Thank you! This is a fabulous way to use up leftover sock yarn.

gilraen said...

Thank you for the pattern!! :)

A great idea indeed. :)

Jennie said...

Yippee for sock squares. :)

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Gorgeous!! How pretty would a border be, plus maybe connecting them as panels too. Who knows, but I'm sure when you cross that bridge it will be gorgeous!

Ah....we would have such a good time just knitting socks and making blankets and playing with color forever! (well, you'd have to keep spinning the pretty yarn too!)

Bezzie said...

Pretty cool! I didn't know you made that up (or I had forgotten reading it...). I just can't wait to see all those squares put together. Will it be the blanket that never ends..yes it goes on and on my friend. One woman started knitting it, not knowing what it was, and she'll continue knitting it forever just because it is the blanket that never ends....!

(sorry!)

Zonda said...

Awesome, pattern is printing now! Nice! :)

Anonymous said...

Awsome pattern! Thanks for sharing:)

Ang

Stacie said...

I can't wait to see that beeeeutiful blanket!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, thank you! I figured you were knitting from the inside out, but didn't know how many stitches you were starting with. Now to tackle those leftover sock scraps!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your pattern. I can't wait to start using my leftover sock yarn.

mel said...

Very cool Shannon - all those sock leftovers will make such a great and colorful blanket! Thank you for sharing your pattern!

Annalea said...

Thanks so much for the info. Btw, I found a typo:

"Yarn: Leftover sock yarn. The amount needles will vary depending"

Did you mean "The amount needed will vary"?

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for these directions! I don't have to figure it out for myself now!

Di Schray said...

Been looking for this very thing! Saturday will be more fun now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pattern. One one of the few free patterns I have ever used. It is perfect. TYVM

SassySean on Ravelry

not so sleepy/beauty said...

I'm more of an "intermediate" knitter, so excuse me if I sound totally stupid, but I REALLY want to learn this! I just can't figure out what to do after I divide the 12 stitches into 6 on each needle. Do I need another needle? If anyone feels like it, post this technique on youtube, or please walk me through it like a third grader! I really want to get this. Thanks so much.
Amy

Anonymous said...

I have lots of left over sock yarn and now I have a way to use them up as well as create a lovely blanket. Thanks for the pattern.

Anonymous said...

I might want to figure out how to start on the outside and decrease to the centre, by picking up stitches I imagine an excellent seamless cube could be knit something like a dodecahedron...

WonderMike said...

love, love, love this pattern. I can't wait to make some squares. I'm going to use Magic Loop. I'll let you know how it goes!

GuenKnits said...

This is great! I'm going to use this technique to use up some of my worsted stash to make a lapghan for my fiancees grandmother! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Like Amy, I'm also VERY confused about dividing stitches on circular needles. Sounds like a DPN thing. Can/Would anyone explain how to do that? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for this very hard to find pattern. Now I have something to do with my sock yarn.

Much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

You can use DPNs for this, however the technique she is using is the Magic Loop method of knitting. You just need a pair of circular needles for this. There are tons of videos tutorials on youtube, just look up "Magic Loop Knitting"

Anonymous said...

This makes me want to buy some sock yarn to make this! It would be nice and not too thick in sock yarn.
How did you join the squares?