Friday, May 09, 2008

Handspun Friday - Mediterranean

This fiber is from Loop on etsy and started out as a beautiful 3 ounce batt of bamboo, alpaca, silk, and Corriedale. Steph's batts are almost too pretty to spin.

It was fun to spin the mix of fibers. You kind of have to pay attention because of all the different fiber lengths but it was great watching the shiny fibers of the silk and bamboo mix with the alpaca and wool. It is amazing how slippery the bamboo fibers really are.

The resulting yarn has a beautiful sheen and a very nice drape. I wish I had more of this to spin.

Geddesburg Handspun Yarn
Content: Bamboo, alpaca, silk, and Corriedale
Fiber Source: Loop
Weight: 3 ounces total
Fiber Preparation: carded batt
Yardage: 152 yards
Spinning Style: worsted
Spinning Ratio: 10 to 1
Plying Ratio: 9 to 1
Details: 2-ply, hand wash, air dry

11 comments:

bockstark.knits said...

ooooh, that is really pretty!!! but wait, i thought you were doing a superwash?!

Monika said...

Aah, that's what it's going to look like. I have 3oz of the same stuff! It's beautiful! Looking forward to spinning it. :o)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's my favorite so far! You can just tell how exquisite the feel is by looking at it. Yummy!!

Deb said...

You're right, that is a pretty batt. I so wish you lived closer so I could sit over your shoulder and watch you. That is beautiful stuff. I'm inspired to try some bamboo now.

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

oh I love that! Green is my favorite ;)

Bezzie said...

How do you like spinning with batted fiber?

I need to do what you're doing and remember to take a "before" shot of the fiber before I spin it.

This mediterranean just needs a well oiled Italian man in a speedo and you're good to go.

Batty said...

Pretty! It has a beautiful sheen to it, and the batt looks all fluffy and squishable. I'm not sure I would have managed to spin it, I think I would have wanted to keep it around and pet it.

turtlegirl76 said...

Ooooh that's gorgeous! I need to get one of her batts. I resisted at MDSW but I needs it!

Zonda said...

Ohh, that is gorgeous!!

gilraen said...

That is my favourite yet!!! Wonderful sheen and rich colours!

mel said...

That is so gorgeous Shannon, I want to dive right in! I think the bits of gold throughout are perfect. Lovely spinning!!