Friday, April 10, 2009

Handspun Friday

I've got a nice and bright chain plied yarn for today. The fiber is 18.5 micron Australian Merino and it is much softer that I expected.

The fiber is billed as spiral dyed and I don't know exactly what that means. But the colors in the fiber are really rich and saturated. Surprisingly enough, there was very little, if any, dye bleed out during the yarn's hot bath to set the twist. The fiber came in two identically dyed pieces and the color repeats were nice and long. I did not divide the fiber into strips before spinning. I tried to preserve the long color repeats that showed up in the fiber.

The fiber was easy to draft and nice to spin. I only wish I had a little more so I ended up with more yardage. But I think I have enough for a hat.

Geddesburg Handspun Yarn

Fiber: Spiral Dyed Fiber by Jacinta Leishman
Content: Austrailian Merino
18.5 micron
Weight: 3.55 ounces
WPI: 11
Yardage: 166 yards
Notes: chain plied; hand wash

13 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh that's gorgeous!!

Monika said...

That's really colorful! Gorgeous yarn. I'm dyeing fiber today, instead of easter eggs. :o)

Dave said...

Very cheerful!

mom said...

Love the vivid colors!

Ivete said...

I love this!! Makes me think of the circus, it would make a great hat!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

I love the bright saturated colors! Great job!

Anonymous said...

That is very pretty! It'll make a nice hat.

Anonymous said...

Love the colors!
mdknitr

Annalea said...

Bright is right! That's prefect for a somewhat soggy Spring day. :o)

My eventual goal is to be able to Najavo ply sock yarn that's firm and durable, as well as a light & lofty yarn that would be good for hats. So far I've got results that are firm and bouncy, but pretty dense, which cuts down on the yardage tremendously.

Have a great weekend!

Faith said...

Gorgeous and lush looking!

Zonda said...

So gorgeous!! Bright colors!!

Karen said...

Beautiful yarn! The colorway is awesome!

Julie said...

I love the bright colors!