Friday, August 07, 2009

Handspun Friday - Phantasm

This is the second time I've spun Wensleydale and it is definatley different from merino and the other soft wools I usually spin. The fibers are longer and the finished yarn is a little more fuzzy or hairy than softer wools.

The sheen and shine of the fiber is what always draws me to Wensleydale. It almost looks luminescent in person and that always makes me want to spin some up.

I think the fiber would be best served spun up as a soft single, but for some reason I just can't get that accomplished. Wensleydale always seems to want to draft out very thin when I'm spinning. So this time I decided to ply the two thin singles together. I think this will make a beuatifully colored shawl.

Geddesburg Handspun Yarn

Fiber: dyed by Hello Yarn
Content: Wensleydale combed wool top
Weight: 8 ounces
WPI: 20 wraps per inch
Yardage: 288 yards (1st skein) / 312 yards (2nd skein)
Notes: 2-ply; handwash

10 comments:

Monika said...

This turned out beautiful!

aussiepups said...

Wow... I love seeing your finished spinning. It helps me get focused on my own stash and to see the fibers I have in a new light. And such nice work... keep it up!

Deb said...

I wish I could touch it!

Zonda said...

Oooh! Lovely! Gosh, we need to get together soon! I need my spinning teacher! :)

Karen said...

Oh, that is so pretty! You have been spinning up a storm lately I see! All so lovely!

Anonymous said...

Ooh - I really like this color. the yarn looks darker than I would have expected, given the color of the top...
mdknitr

mom said...

A beautiful hank of yarn. I agree that the finished yarn doesn't seem like it would come from the roving that is pictured. I still like it!!!

Kaye said...

I thought you had dropped off the blogosphere...nope. My feed reader just started picking up your feed again! BAH!

Lovely yarn--all of it in the past posts--and those cute baby birds!

Batty said...

It looks more black and red than anything else... lovely!

plainolebob said...

say i saw that there ad or such about them, plainole sox, and was just winderin, well bess was any ways. hows a body to git em? i don't think bess is much of a hand of makin things